Yesterday, I was flipping the channels on the T.V. and wasn’t really paying close attention when all of a sudden a commercial for The Gap came on. It was one of those typical holiday commercials with people dancing around in winter clothes and sweaters. What was most interesting was the fact that the commercial mentioned Hanukah, Kwanza AND it clearly and unequivocally mentioned CHRISTMAS.
So what’s the big deal you ask? As I pointed out in my previous post the American Family Association (AFA) has been getting quite a bit of press lately by urging Christians to boycott Gap, Inc. According to the AFA The Gap refused to recognize “Christmas” by name this holiday season. Yet, The Gap commercial I watched yesterday VERY CLEARLY mentioned Christmas by name.
So this whole boycott of Gap, Inc. by the American Family Association has a whole lot to do about nothing!!! I think the term I am looking for is EPIC FAIL!
Something is TERRIBLY wrong in Conservative Evangelicalism!
To help identify and define what is terribly wrong in Conservative Evangelicalism here are some diagnostic questions that I think every Conservative Evangelical needs to face and answer.
1. Where were Conservative Evangelicals and their holy indignation when stories began to break that Gap, Inc. was employing child slave labor in its factories in India?
2. Why is it that Liberals and Emergents, who deny that the Bible is the literal inerrant Word of God, deny the doctrine of the Penal Substitionary atonement, and deny that homosexuality is a sin, why is it that that Liberals understand that Christianity does not exist to make the world a safer place for American Corporations who enslave and exploit the poor in their pursuit of maximizing profits?
3. Why is it that Conservative Evangelicals who emphasize the importance of doctrinal purity and claim to be Christ Centered and Gospel focused keep missing the fact that one of the implications of the gospel is that corporate executive sinners who are enslaving children to make it possible for you to buy a t-shirt at Wal-Mart for $7 must be called to repentance & the forgiveness of sins in Jesus name for their EVIL practices every bit as much as a practicing homosexual, philandering politician or late term abortionist?
4. How long will Conservative Evangelicals threaten to boycott corporations that don’t use the word “Christmas” during the holiday season yet never utter the word “sin” when members of a corporate executive team make a decision that poisons a river or enslaves a child?
5. How long will Conservative Evangelicals selectively turn a blind eye to the sins committed by fellow conservatives and only call out those sins that are committed by their ‘political’ and ‘cultural’ enemies?
As long as those who believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, who zealously wage war with the forces of immorality in the culture refuse to understand that they are ambassadors of the Kingdom of God, not the Republican Party, and are called to proclaim repentance and the forgiveness of sins in Jesus Name to ALL sinners left and right, socialist and capitalist then there will continue to be something TERRIBLY wrong with Conservative Evangelicalism!